Friday, December 14, 2012

I'm Watching You...

Throughout the week I started people watching at the Willowbrook Mall. The first store I entered, my results were very interesting...Surprisingly, I was basically ignored. The person who was supposed to greet me was texting instead of doing their job. She looked up, said "Hi!" and went back to texting. However, when a black-American girl around my age walked in.... she shot up to greet her! I think that possibly the worker greeting us was worried about being seen as having a prejudice against black-Americans  so she made sure to greet the black girl rather than me.

In the second store I entered, my results were very different. I was quickly greeted with a happy smile, and so was the teenage black girl that walked in after me. These were more of the results that I was expecting.

In the final store I went to, I watched adults interact. A younger girl was working in the store, and when greeting adults, she communicated better with the white adults. When a black adult came in, the girl greeting them gave a polite hello and moved onto the next customer. However, when approaching a white adult, the girl greeting looked much more comfortable around them and attempted to make conversation. 

Overall, my results were very scattered. In one store, the greeter seemed to favor black-Americans, while the other favored white-Americans. The second store I went to had results that were much more expected. When being paid to do a job, I would have expected that a greeter would treat everyone equally.


No comments:

Post a Comment