Thursday, October 25, 2012

Here, Eat It.

A short article that I have recently come across was titled 'Dining While Black'. This immediately drew my attention. The article described a poll taken in North Carolina stating that "After polling 200 servers in 18 North Carolina restaurants, researchers found that a shocking 38.5% discriminated against black customers."


What surprised me the most about this statistic, was the fact that the servers openly admitted to giving black customers poorer service. The article then describes the server's reasoning for doing so. Waiters said that many gave black customers poorer service due to  their expectations that black diners would be poor tippers, demanding and rude.  How could someone who is paid to provide service to customers, be prejudice towards them simply because their race is "known" for being demanding and tipping less?

This stereotype of black-Americans is one that I have heard before, however have not had much personal experience to back it up. I have been out to dinner with one friend who was equally as polite as the rest of us at the table. However, when my friend's mother ordered, she was in fact very rude and demanding. I found that my differing experiences made it difficult to see whether or not this stereotype is actually that common among the black community. What do you think, are black people demanding and rude simply because they're.... black?

Read The Article Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment